Monday, October 4, 2010

Michael Winters Interview








Click here to check out more Michael Winters Photography


Part of me felt wrong. Part of me felt as if maybe it was not meant to be. Was I not grasping the real structure of photography? Why don't my photos have messages and intent to them? I take photos mostly for the sheer aesthetic qualities. I cant help but feel extremely cliche when trying to tie images with messages, state quotes that stand up for my prints. I take pictures because I think I can do something with them. I think perhaps they will captivate my audience, perhaps people will enjoy them. I don't expect deep meaning. tonight I realized something big, something really big.
Michael winters said, “I actually advise some people to not take a class (which may be totally naïve of me) other than to learn how to use their camera in manual mode. As for all of the other theory regarding what’s right or not right, I ignore as there is nothing worse than imposing rules to stifle creativity.” i loved this quote because sometimes i resent criticism in my photography. I create an image to look this way- i wanted it to look this way and i wanted all of the technical/physical/emotion properties to be this way. whose to say that it's wrong? I find that in a structured class setting, sometimes your photography falls into the 'wrong' category, but why?? If I spent a serious amount of time creating an image to look the way it looks, regardless if you like it or not, is it really wrong? I never thought so.
I had the pleasure of interviewing one of my favorite photographers to date, Michael Winters. I found his words as inspiring as his images.

No comments:

Post a Comment